The Confluence Project
Become a Friend
“A man’s mind, stretched by new ideas, may never return to its original dimensions.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
The Confluence Project (TCP)
The Confluence Project is a year-long, place-based, hands-on water science education model implemented in North Idaho high schools. We provide watershed curriculum (aligned with both Next Generation Science Standards and Common Core State Standards), funding and logistics support for field experiences and a coordinated research conference for all participating students.
Throughout the school year, TCP teachers introduce water resource issues in the classroom using lessons that align with both Next Generation Science Standards and Common Core State Standards and guide their students in a comprehensive research project.
Through hands-on field experiences, students collect and analyze local water resource data on a water quality field trip to a local stream or lake and a snow science field trip to a local ski hill. By spring, the goal is for students to answer a driving question related to a real-world water resource issue and propose a relevant solution.
TCP culminates in the annual Youth Water Summit in Coeur d’ Alene, where students present their research at a professional conference-style event to peers from other schools and watershed experts from the community.
Want to Know More
SAVE THE DATE
Youth Water Summit 2020
May 19th, 2020 at North Idaho College
Who is involved?
A team of coordinators manages TCP:
- Marie Schmidt- University of Idaho Coeur d’ Alene
- Jim Ekins- University of Idaho Extension
- Rebecca Stevens- Coeur d’ Alene Tribe Lake Management
- Jamie Brunner- Idaho Department of Environmental Quality Lake Management
- Robert Witherow – Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
- Seth Oliver – Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
- Jennifer Gray – Panhandle Health District
- Valerie Wade – Panhandle Health District
- Jamie Lynn Morgan – Kootenai Environmental Alliance
This year we have ten high schools participating in The Confluence Project and the Youth Water Summit: Coeur d’Alene, Kellogg, Lake City, Lakeland, Lakeside, Paradise Creek Regional, St Maries, Timberlake, Venture, and Wallace.
Become a Friend