KEA needs volunteers to help with their biggest Restoration Project to date! The job will be somewhat physically demanding, but extremely rewarding! We are going to lay straw matting and wattling(straw tubes) on over 2700 feet of shoreline on Fernan Lake. Bring your mallets, pulaski’s, shovels, water bottle for this amazing opportunity to help reduce shoreline erosion on Fernan Lake!!
It has been determined that high phosphorous levels in Fernan Lake are a driving factor in the growth and abundance of blue green algae populations within the system. Blue green algae blooms in Fernan Lake effect water quality and posed a risk to humans, animals and local fisheries health.
The KEA Fernan Lake phosphorous reduction project FY17 will address water quality concerns related to excessive sediment in Fernan Lake by restoring native shoreline vegetation and installing straw wattles and erosion matting on over 2,749 feet of mostly bare, eroding shoreline. The combination of these Best Management Practice’s will act to hold sediment on the shoreline slope, slow down runoff flow velocity and reduce high velocity erosion.
There are a total of eight project sites that will be implementing a combination of wattle and erosion matting installation and planting. Project sites # one-seven are located on the shoreline side of Fernan Lake Road between mile points 1.1 and 2.2. Project eight is located on the far west shoreline of Fernan Lake in between I-90 and the lake.
Here’s what we are going to do:
- We will be restoring 2,700 feet of shoreline of Lake Fernan with straw matting and wattling that we will seed with native grasses.
- Two of the seven sites will be planted with native shrubs in the spring.
- East Side Highway District will prepare the seven restoration sites on Halloween for the straw matting and wattles.
- November 4th-We need at least 12 volunteers to lay the matting and hammer in the stakes for the wattles in sites 1-4 from 10am-3pm. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- November 11th-We need at least 12 volunteers to lay the matting and hammer in the stakes for the wattles in sites 5-7 from 10am-3pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- In the spring we will be planting at site 8.
Please help us help Fernan Lake! This is a perfect opportunity to play in the dirt, be outside and help this unhealthy lake. Lunch will be provided. Contact email@example.com for more information.